For the second essay of this semester, you are going to relate your opinion concerning the state of Race Relations in America. I want to find out your opinion/position on where we are as a nation concerning this important issue. Your opinion on this topic will be framed by at least one of the readings you were assigned:
- John Lewis’ “Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of our Nation”
- Sally Kohn’s The Opposite of Hate: A Field Guide to Repairing Our Humanity
- Amanda Gorman’s Inaugural Speech “The Hill We Climb”
- Valarie Kaur’s “Breathe and Push”
Your discussion will:
- Relate your opinion/position concerning the topic
- Cite at least one of the above texts on which you will build your discussion
- Reference Jane Elliott’s “Eye of the Storm” video
- Propose a solution to the issue of race relations in America
*Consider for this essay using information from one (or several) of the three discussions on race you submitted to me a few weeks ago. The research process often includes using sources and discussions you have already conducted.
Essay Requirements: Because English 1301 is a research course, carefully consider your text selections and source citations throughout. Additionally, include a Works Cited Page according to MLA requirements and format (Google MLA Works Cited Page for an example).
- Your discussion must be no more than four (4) pages, typed, DS.
- Your discussion will be told in THIRD PERSON POINT OF VIEW only.
- Your discussion must propose a solution.
- Your discussion must contain rich details that create strong visual images and demonstrate sophisticated thinking as well as college level composition skills.
Further, your essay
- must have a TITLE.
- must be double-spaced, and use standard margins (1-1.5”), Times New Roman, 12 pt font. Essays not following these requirements will not be accepted for grading.
- must meet the required length (3.5-4 pages).
- must identify – by underlining or highlighting – your THESIS STATEMENT.
- Must have the following information in the UPPER LEFT-HAND CORNER:
English 1301: Section Meeting Days/Time
Ending Notes: Sunday, March 28: Zoom Office Hour to assist with Essay #2
1-2pm. Zoom invite will be sent, attendance is not
Final Essay Due Date: Wednesday, March 31 by 12 noon.
Email your final essay to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Write in SUBJECT LINE: Essay #2, Saturday 9:00AM
Essay submission time will be closely monitored; no late essays will be accepted unless arrangements have been made with me.