In this paper, you will be looking at congenital abnormalities and dysmorphologies, and nursingís role in caring for patients with specific abnormalities and/or dysmorphology.
Chapter 7, 8, and 9 of your textbook focuses on inherited disorders, congenital abnormalities and dysmorphologies, as well as family pedigree. This assignment is to assess your knowledge of congenital disorders and your ability to apply information on these disorders, and the nursing implications involved in caring for these individuals. You will also be constructing a family pedigree for this assignment. Do not use quotations in this discussion. Paraphrase your sources. Read Chapters 7,8, and 9 of your textbook.
In 2008, AACNís Essentialís of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice required that all BSN prepared nurses be able to construct a family pedigree as part of the family history. For this assignment you will do the following:
1. Define congenital abnormalities and dysmorphologies.
2. Compare and contrast the terms major and minor abnormalities.
3. Identify one congenital abnormality and the syndrome/disease most often associated with this abnormality.
4. Construct your own family pedigree utilizing the template provided by the website.
5. 3-4 pages, not including the pedigree. a. Failure to adhere to the page limit will result in a 5-point deduction. A title and reference page are required and are not included in the page count.
The template for the pedigree should be attached to the paper as an appendix. This assignment should be written in APA format. A minimum of 3 peer-reviewed references are required. References must be current, published within the last five years, and from the United States. (Your text book may be used as a source but does not count toward the 3 required references).
An abstract is not required for this writing assignment.