ASSESSMENT 3,000 WORDS ESSAY Weighting 100%
Submission date: 28th July
Students will formulate a question and search for two papers with the aim to answer their question. Students will select, and critically appraise the two primary research papers relevant to an agreed area of interest associated with clinical practice or area of service innovation. Students will document their search strategy, discuss it, and present it on tables. A critical appraisal framework will be completed for each research paper and they will be included in the appendices. Students also need to provide discussion on the critical analysis. Students are required to analyse the findings of the papers in a thematic analysis and discuss the results to demonstrate if their question is answered. Students need to provide a conclusion, reference list and appendices.
HEADINGS REQUIRED IN YOUR ESSAY:
2 - INTRODUCTION
3 - BACKGROUND
4 – SEARCH STRATEGY
5 – CRITICAL ANALYSIS
6 – FINDINGS AND DISCUSSION OF RESULTS
7 – CONCLUSION
8- REFERENCE LIST (Harvard style).
9 – APPENDICES - CRITICAL APPRAISAL TOOL
1. Summative written essay based on a clearly defined question elaborated by the student in a topic of their choosing related to clinical practice or service improvement. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of key elements of the research process. Document the search strategy using PEO or PICO on databases utilised and inclusion and exclusion criteria. (LO 1, 2, 3)
2. Demonstrate ability to critically analyse papers by using a critique framework, such as Holland and Rees/CASP. Frameworks need to be included on appendices. Discuss the critical analysis in the body of the work including rigour, reliability, validity, and ethics. (LO 3, 4)
3. Demonstrate ability to discuss papers’ findings in a thematic analysis and draw arguments to evidence that findings answer the formulated question. (LO 1, 2)
4. Demonstrate in the conclusion the link between aims and objectives, the research question and if findings answer the question. Complete beneficial recommendations. (LO 1, 2)
5. Presentation, grammar, reference list and appendices. Ensure academic conventions are consistent with level 5.