Part of studying history is understanding how we interpret and remember it. You will select a topic from U.S. history (person/place/event) and answer the following questions in a 2-5 page paper, with a works cited page.
- What is the purpose of memorials and monuments? What impact do they have on us and the way we think about history?
- What are some existing memorials and monuments for your topic? If possible, select at least two and discuss.
- Select one of the following questions: How would you update or change an existing memorial/monument to your topic?
- OR How would you envision a new memorial or monument? In your discussion for either question, use at least two primary sources that you perhaps could include or that influences your thinking.
- For both questions, remember to consider context, stakeholders, significance, and relevance.
You will give a brief (no more than five minutes) presentation in class on your paper. For your presentation, I would like you to focus on your topic, why you chose it, and its significance for today. A hard copy of your paper is due on the day of your presentation.