Describe the current storage system being used, if any. Create Rationale table or bulleted list outlining 5-7 key components listed below for recommended Data Storage System (to included hardware and software recommendations and pricing). Last add a detailed paragraph with recommendation and supportive reasoning. Submit to the dropbox by the due date (listed on course calendar).
Data Storage System:
Research current system (if any) in place. Describe in a short paragraph your findings of the current system and its pros and cons. Include required business needs and future needs (scalability) below the current system description to start the transition into your data storage recommendation. Next, create a Rationale: list of 5-7 bulleted list or table of the recommended data storage plan that includes: type of storage network (ie. NAS, DAS, SAN, etc.), storage medium type (magnetic tape, virtual, flash memory, optical, etc.) capacity needs, scalability option, reliability of network, include comprehensive table list of Hardware and Software requirements and researched pricing needed to support your recommendation. Last, describe in a supportive paragraph or two the recommendation of proposed data storage system and give reasoning of why the business should choose this option.
What is Data Storage -The collective method and technologies that capture and retain digital information on electromagnetic, optical or silicon-based storage media.
Why is Data Storage important - it is extremely important, it protects and retrieves data whenever a company needs it for various reasons; analyzing past sales, saving employee records, storing large files, and more.
What are Data Storage Capacity Requirements - defines how much storage is needed to run an application, a set of applications or data sets. Capacity requirements are important to consider and different types of data mediums.
What is Enterprise storage - centralized repository for business information that provides common data management, protection and data sharing functions through a connection to computer systems.
Evaluating the storage needs for a system recommendation:
- Two main classifications of data storage, depending on how the data is used and the type of media it requires:
- Primary storage - handles current application workloads central to a company s every day production and main lines of business needs and immediate accessibility to data
- Secondary storage - encompasses data on flash, hard disk, tape and other devices requiring I/O operations. It is often used in data backup and cloud storage for long term and larger capacity use.
- Types of data storage devices/mediums have varying levels of speed and capacity:
- Virtual tape library o magnetic tape/magnetic disk
- dynamic RAM (DRAM) o SSDs
- Optical storage o HDDs/solid state storage
- What type of Enterprise Storage system works best for your organization s needs?
- SAN ï¿½ Storage Area Network o NAS ï¿½ Network Attached Storage
- DAS ï¿½ Direct Attached Storage
Capacity measurements to know are:
- kilobit (Kb)
- megabit (Mb)
- gigabit (Gb)
- terabit (Tb)
- petabit (Pb)
- exabit (Eb)
Larger measures include:
- kilobyte (KB) equal to 1,024 bytes
- megabyte (MB) equal to 1,024 KB
- gigabyte (GB) equal to 1,024 MB
- terabyte (TB) equal to 1,024 GB
- petabyte (PB) equal to 1,024 TB
- exabyte (EB) equal to 1,024 PB
Major data storage vendors:
- Dell EMC
- Hitachi Vantara
- IBM Storage
- Pure Storage
- Quantum Corp
- Tegile Systems, part of Western Digital Corp.