Knowledge of the laws that govern your environment are essential for you as a health information management professional. You must be aware of the abiding laws that govern your workplace, as well as the legal implications for you, your coworkers, and your patients.
In this discussion, examine employment laws and how they pertain to your workplace. Respond to the following:
- Explain the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) discrimination employment laws impacting healthcare as they relate the HIM professional.
- Describe the impact of employment at will and how it can lead to discriminatory practices by employers.
- What are some examples of state laws that address liability concepts (for example, negligence, malpractice, breach), legal doctrines of confidentiality, consent, competency, privacy, autonomy, privileged communications (for example, physician/patient, attorney/client, work product), duty to warn, or endangered person?
- What are some management practices that can be developed and implemented in day-to-day activities to abide by these standards? You may think about these practices in reference to your own workplace.
When responding to your peers, consider the following:
- Evaluate those who have suggested different management practices than those you suggested.
- Do their methods cause you to reevaluate your own? Explain your reasoning.
To complete this assignment, review the†Discussion Rubric PDF†document.