Assessment Activity Description and Instructions to Learner
Please follow the guidelines below when completing the project:
- Word count for the project – 2500 words (+/- 10%)
- Research – you need to conduct your own research in relation to the topic using appropriate external sources.
- The project should be typed and use headings as appropriate.
- If basing your project on a client you care for please ensure that you maintain confidentiality at all times.
You are required to complete a project on one of the following topics:
• A client with a chronic illness such as Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s disease. OR
• An older person with depression or other mental health illness.
Your project should include the following headings: Introduction – 9 marks
• Description of the illness chosen (4 Marks)
• Prevalence of the illness in Ireland and worldwide. Compare statistics and detail differences (3 Marks)
• Describe how cultural and ethical issues impact the disease (2 Marks)
Main Body – 20 marks
• Discuss the care needs of the client in terms of physical, emotional and intellectual needs (6 Marks)
• Describe the potential changes that may need to be made due to the diagnosis of the illness (4 Marks)
• Discuss your role in the care of the client (3 Marks)
• Discuss the role: - the care setting has in the clients overall care (2 Marks)
- the other members of the care team (MDT) have in the clients overall care(2 Marks)
• Discuss 3 services that can improve the quality of care of the client for example: day centres, evening classes, social groups etc., specifically related to the illness chosen (3 Marks)
Conclusion – 8 marks
• Planning for end of life care is an important part in the care of clients:
- discuss ways to approach the subject of end of life care with the client (2 Marks)
- how/where might you gather the information in a sensitive and caring manner(2 Marks)
• Detail 2 health promotion initiatives that you could implement with the client, specifically related to the illness chosen (4 Marks)
Marks will also be allocated for the following: - (3 Marks)
• Demonstrate evidence of critical thinking, additional research and correct referencing (2 Marks)
• Formatting of project and overall layout (1 Marks)