Using Analytic Tools for Strategic Decision-Making
This is a two-part assignment, starting in Unit 3 and completed in Unit 4. Complete Part 1 of this assignment by executing the requirements below. You will combine Part 1 and Part 2 of this assignment in Unit 4 and submit it to the Unit 4 Dropbox for grading. It is imperative that you complete Part 1 of this assignment in Unit 3. Procrastination can be detrimental to your success in this class.
The following Course Outcome is assessed in this assignment:
MT460-2: Use a variety of analytical tools to monitor and improve business strategy.
In this assignment, you will address one Course Outcome by conducting a business case study analysis in the form of a narrated PowerPoint presentation. Download the Unit 3 Assignment Template.
You will find the following resource to be a helpful guide in your analysis of your chosen case study: Guide to Case Analysis. This assignment will require intensive interpretation skills. Be sure to read this Case Analysis Guide to prepare. Be sure to use the grading rubric as a checklist. Use the following criteria to evaluate the external (Part 1) and internal (Part 2) environment of your chosen company:
Choose an award-winning company from the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program website to study. You will evaluate the “Award Application Summary” as a business case. You are the director of strategy and business intelligence for your chosen company. You are conducting an evaluation of your chosen company for an upcoming annual report. Your goal is to demonstrate skill and expertise in strategic analysis of the strategic position of your company. You will be submitting this report to the other C-level executives for consideration. Use the following criteria to make strategic decisions for your chosen award-winning organization.
Assignment Part 1 Requirements:
- Provide background information about your chosen company, including the company name, industry sector in which the company operates, products, and target market. Elaborate and use research.
- Introduce the concept of strategic analysis based on Figure 3.1 (pages 49–50) in your textbook.
- Explain how the strategic analysis tools found in Chapter 3 of your textbook can help your chosen organization build a future-oriented strategy.
- Explain the macro-environment, how to analyze the macro-environment, and its importance to strategy development. Use theories, principles, and concepts from various research resources to substantiate your thoughts, opinions and ideas (read pages 50–53 in your textbook).
- Conduct a PESTEL analysis and identify three strategically relevant factors per PESTEL component that may impact the long-term direction of your chosen company, including its strategic vision and mission, objectives, and business model (pages 50–53 in your textbook).
- After the PESTEL analysis table, explain what strategically relevant factors are most likely to have a higher impact and which are likely to have a lower impact on your chosen company’s situation and business strategy (page 50 in your textbook).
- Explain the five forces framework and its value in diagnosing the competitive conditions in a company’s industry (pages 53 and 68–69 in your textbook).
- Conduct an analysis using the five forces framework to diagnose the competitive conditions in your chosen company’s industry.
- Analyze the rivalry among competing sellers of your chosen company (pages 53–56 in your textbook).
- Analyze the competitive pressures associated with the threat of new entrants (pages 57–62 in your textbook).
- Analyze the factors affecting competition from substitute products (pages 62–64 in your textbook).
- Analyze the factors affecting the bargaining power of suppliers (pages 64–66 in your textbook).
- Analyze the factors affecting the power of buyers (pages 66–68 in your textbook).
- Explain the significance of the SOAR framework for competitor analysis as a strategic analysis tool in your chosen company’s industry (pages 77–79 in your textbook).
- Each slide should have oral narration and notes. Your slides should be professionally designed.
- Use a minimum of three peer-reviewed, academic research resources (including your textbook) to substantiate your critical thinking and to provide viable reasoning for your perspectives.
- Write and speak in third person and apply proper APA style citation and reference format.
- You will combine Part 1 and Part 2 together in Unit 4 to submit for grading.
Use as many concepts from Chapter 3 of your textbook to complete this assignment as possible. You are the professional and will need to determine how many slides and how long the presentation should be to meet the requirements of this assignment. You are capable of making such decisions at this level of your degree program. Take the initiative to be the problem solver and strategic decision-maker.