Using Analytic Tools for Strategic Decision-Making
This is a two-part assignment. You started this assignment in Unit 3. You will finish and submit this assignment in Unit 4. Complete Part 2 of this assignment by executing the requirements below. You will combine Part 1 and Part 2 of this assignment in Unit 4 and submit it to the Unit 4 Dropbox for grading. Procrastination can be detrimental to your success in this class.
The following Course Outcome is assessed in this assignment:
MT460-2:Â Use a variety of analytical tools to monitor and improve business strategy.
In this assignment, you will address one Course Outcome by conducting a business case study analysis in the form of aÂ narrated PowerPoint presentation. Download the Unit 4 Assignment Template.
You will find the following resource to be a helpful guide in your analysis of your chosen case study: Guide to Case Analysis.Â This assignment will require intensive interpretation skills. Be sure to read this Case Analysis Guide to prepare. Be sure to use the grading rubric as a checklist. Use the following criteria to evaluate the external (Part 1) and internal (Part 2) environment of your chosen company:Â
Choose an award-winning company from the Baldrige Performance Excellence ProgramÂ website to study. You will evaluate the â€œAward Application Summaryâ€ as a business case. You are the director of strategy and business Intelligence for your chosen company. You are conducting an evaluation of your chosen company for an upcoming annual report. Your goal is to demonstrate skill and expertise in strategic analysis of the strategic position of your company. You will be submitting this report to the other C-level executives for consideration. Use the following criteria to make strategic decisions for your chosen award-winning organization.
Assignment Part 1 Requirements:
- Provide background information about your chosen company, including the company name, industry sector in which the company operates, products, and target market. Elaborate and use research.
- Introduce the concept of strategic analysis based on Figure 3.1 (read pages 49â€“50 in your textbook).
- Explain how the strategic analysis tools found in Chapter 3 of your textbook can help your chosen organization build a future-oriented strategy.
- Explain the macro-environment, how to analyze the macro-environment, and its importance to strategy development. Use theories, principles, and concepts from various research resources to substantiate your thoughts, opinions, and ideas (read pages 50â€“53 in your textbook).
- Conduct a PESTEL analysis and identifyÂ threeÂ strategically relevant factors per PESTEL component that may impact the long-term direction of your chosen company, including its strategic vision and mission, objectives, and business model (pages 50â€“53 in your textbook).
- After the PESTEL analysis table, explain what strategically relevant factors are most likely to have a higher impact and which are likely to have a lower impact on your chosen companyâ€™s situation and business strategy (page 50 in your textbook).
- Explain the five forces framework and its value in diagnosing the competitive conditions in a companyâ€™s industry (pages 53 and 68â€“69 in your textbook).
- Conduct an analysis using the five forces framework to diagnose the competitive conditions in your chosen companyâ€™s industry.
- Analyze the rivalry among competing sellers of your chosen company (pages 53â€“56 in your textbook).
- Analyze the competitive pressures associated with the threat of new entrants (pages 57â€“62 in your textbook).
- Analyze the factors affecting competition from substitute products (pages 62â€“64 in your textbook).
- Analyze the factors affecting the bargaining power of suppliers (pages 64â€“66 in your textbook).
- Analyze the factors affecting the power of buyers (pages 66â€“68 in your textbook).
- Explain the significance of the SOAR framework for competitor analysis as a strategic analysis tool in your chosen companyâ€™s industry (pages 77â€“79 in your textbook).
Assignment Part 2 Requirements:
- Explain how the tools for analyzing the internal environment of an organization found in Chapter 4 of your textbook can help your chosen organization to develop a competitive edge over rivals (page 87 in your textbook). Use theories, principles, and concepts from various additional research resources to substantiate your thoughts, opinions, and ideas.
- Explain the components of a single-business companyâ€™s strategy (pages 88â€“89 in your textbook).
- Identify three key financial ratios. Explain why they are strategically important and how your chosen company can use them to analyze its current situation for strategic planning purposes (pages 89â€“91 in your textbook).
- Explain the value of conducting a SWOT analysis to a company (pages 91â€“92 in your textbook).
- Conduct a SWOT analysis on your chosen company. Determine the companyâ€™s strengths and weaknesses in relation to the market opportunities and threats (pages 91â€“95 in your textbook).
- Explain how the results of a SWOT analysis can be turned into strategic actions (page 95 in your textbook).
- Explain how value chain activities impact a companyâ€™s cost structure and customer value proposition (pages 102â€“112 in your textbook).
- Explain how your chosen companyâ€™s resources and capabilities give it a competitive edge over rivals (pages 96â€“112 in your textbook).
- Explain what strategic issues and problems merit front-burner managerial attention for your chosen company (page 115 in your textbook).
- Analyze the results of your strategic analyses and explain your chosen companyâ€™s competitive situation and how this information can assist managers in making critical decisions about their next strategic moves.
- Each slide should have oral narration and notes. Your slides should be professionally designed.
- Use a minimum of three peer-reviewed, academic research resources (including your textbook) to substantiate your critical thinking and to provide viable reasoning for your perspectives.
- Write and speak in third person and apply proper APA style citation and reference format.
- You will combine Part 1 and Part 2 together in Unit 4 to submit for grading.
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment
- Before you submit your assignment, you should save your work on your computer in a location and with a name that you will remember.
- Make sure your assignment is in the correct file format (Microsoft PowerPointÂ®Â .ppt or .pptx).
- Submit your completed document to the Unit 4 Assignment Dropbox.