OverviewThe final project for this course is the creation of a proposal, project plan, and system design document. The project is divided into two milestones, which will be submitted at various points throughout the course to scaffold learning and ensure quality final submissions. These milestones will be submitted in Modules Three and Five. The final product will be submitted in Module Seven. In this assignment, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following course outcomes:
- Analyze real-world problems critically for their potential to be solved with information technology systems
- Propose information technology systems solutions that address organizational problems and meet stakeholder needs
- Determine system requirements, constraints, and necessary resources through analysis of information technology problems
- Integrate appropriate tools, techniques, and technology into information technology solution designs and project plans
- Develop illustrative project plans that communicate project objectives, work breakdown structures, project schedules, and milestones for successful completion of information technology projects
PromptBusinesses need practicing information technology professionals who can design and implement information systems solutions to address organizational information technology needs and gaps. The assessment for this course will allow you to demonstrate the critical skills required for professional practice, including skills necessary to discuss potential information technology solutions, organize projects, communicate status, mitigate risks, and facilitate adoption of newly developed information technology systems. Your project will demonstrate that you are able to extend your coursework to manage the design and planning of an information technology project, and in the next course, to successfully implement a solution demonstrating professional expertise. You will need to demonstrate self-directed work, but also a willingness to receive and utilize feedback. You will select a case from one of the provided case studies in the HBR coursepack:
- GasBuddy: Fueling Its Digital Platform for Agility and Growth GasBuddy is an established app-led company in the travel app industry. They are facing competitive pressure that has led a new management team to make changes across areas of culture, digital platform, and product line. These changes are tested during the events of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.
- Parentune.com: Partnering Parents Parentune is in the service industry, networking parents in any stage of parenting to experts. Growing competition and the changing needs of millennial parents have forced the CEO to evaluate their plan for continuous improvement.
- Aadhaar: India's 'Unique Identification' System This case looks at the challenge facing the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). With no existing method for identity verification on a national level, the UIDAI was tasked with the issuing 1.2 billion unique IDs by 2020. The case focuses on the implementation of an unprecedented technology project. as well as changing minds in a bureaucracy.
- The UK National Identity Card This case looks at the attempt by the UK government from 2002–2010 to relate citizenship with a national identity smartcard. This is relevant today in relation to information systems theory.
- F-Secure Corporation: Software as a Service (SaaS) in the Security Solutions Market This case describes F-Secure, a “Software as a Service” business that entered an established industry with a disruptive new service model.