For this project, you are required to explore the distribution of a single quantitative variable in two different groups. Summarize each distribution using tabular summaries, graphical summaries, and numerical summaries. This should be done in a manner that facilitates a direct comparison of the two distributions.
When describing and comparing the distributions, keep in mind the following questions: Are there any outliers? Do both distributions have properties that are basically the same? Are there any significant differences between the two distributions? If such differences exist, what explains these differences? What is a consequence of having significant differences?
Write a brief report including your data, summaries, comparisons, and conclusions
In this project, you will explore the ages of the Academy Award winners for best actress and best actor. This is Data Set 14 .
Investigate the distributions of ages for both winners of best actress and winners of best actor. Compare the two distributions. Determine whether there are differences or not. If so, how might you explain the differences? Is there reason to believe that the Academy discriminates in any way?
In this investigation, you should create
- a frequency distribution table for ages of the best actresses,
- a frequency distribution table for the ages of the best actors,
- a histogram for the ages of the best actresses,
- a histogram for the ages of the best actors,
- a boxplot for best actresses,
- a boxplot for best actors,
- compute the mean and median ages for each,
- compute the standard deviation and Interquartile Range for each, and
- identify any outliers for each.
Be sure to create graphs and tables that make it easy to compare the distribution of ages for both actors and actresses.
Using these tabular and graphical summaries, what would you conclude? Do you feel that the Academy discriminates in any way? Explain your response.
You might find this video helpful in creating nice histograms and boxplots.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBUNOpvuc3o