[Solved] HIM 675-5-2 Short Paper: Ethical Considerations

5-2 Short Paper: Ethical Considerations

Ed s research approaches were outrightly unethical. From the case scenario, Ed went through 25% of the data and found out that 20% of the 25% who fell ill had recently consumed eggs or chicken. Consequently, Ed extrapolated from the data that the cause of the virus is chickens, with no consideration of the remaining 75% of the data. The 14 CFR § 1275.101 describes research misconduct as “means fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism in proposing, performing, or reviewing research, or in reporting research results. Particularly, 14 CFR § 1275.101 describes falsification as “manipulating research materials, equipment, or processes, or changing or omitting data or results such that the research is not accurately represented in the research record”. Therefore, Ed falsified the data by omitting 75% of the data and only relying on 25% to conclude the cause of the virus. Ed should have gone through all the data to determine its trends and accurately extrapolate the reasons for the virus, not only using a portion of the data to reach potentially wrong conclusions. Besides, there seems to be a conflict of interest in which ED believes that finding the cause of the virus will advance his career. Conflict of interest occurs when with regard to activities that compromise a researcher’s judgement in carrying out a research h exercise (The University of Vermont, 2022). This compromises Ed s judgement on the potential cause of the virus, making him rely only on 25% of the data to conclude that chickens caused the virus.

Click to view the full document!

View Document